I got over 11M operation shortly after gaining my amateur licence and
it surprises me that 11M operators would want to spend the money on a
K3 when there is a plethora of gear around that is still easy to
'open' up at a fraction of the cost of a K3.

In VK, 11M operations appear to be concentrated on 27.355 LSB and
27.555USB and I wonder just how many of these operators would even
consider a K3 given the price tag.

As for any 'double standard' it should be made a compliance rule that
ALL amateur gear be made extremely difficult to convert IF that is
what the authorities want. The regulator in VK appears to be not
interested in CB but rather in upping the cost to become an amateur
and licence renewal fees and chasing the commercial dollars.
Enforcement activities seem to be off their 'Radar' at the moment.

The language you here on CB down under would embarrass even a truck
driver. (OH, I was one of the drivers who avoided 11M CB)

We have an 'outback' HF service which requires SelCall ID fitted to
all radios and NO amateur rig meets with their approval so to open up
a K3 to TX on these frequencies is an exercise in futility these days.

Each of us has a differing opinion it seems which is OK with me at least.

73's
Gary
On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM, juergen <plebia...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff
>
> A weird policy really since the K3 is neither type accepted for MARS, NTIA,
> aeronautical or the maritime service.
>
> Its double standards saying on the one hand that its ok to use the K3 on one
> particular HF service  even though its it illegal,  then go onto say that it
> wont be allowed on the CB service.
>
> To me it does not matter since I use a TS480HX and its IMD performance at 100
> watts  meets spectral purity standards for all HF services at 100 watts of
> output. The TS480HX is good radio at 100 watts of output. I use my 480HX in
> both my sailing and flying hobbies and it works great.
>
> At least if you wanted to  stand on the high moral ground, out of band
> transmission on any non amateur band on the K3 should not be allowed. You at
> least would have some credibility on the issue.
>
> 73
> John
>
> --- On Sat, 12/25/10, Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF <vk4bof.elecr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> From: Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF <vk4bof.elecr...@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3: Mods for wide band transmiting?
>> To: "DM7ZQ" <73...@gmx.net>, elecraft@mailman.qth.net
>> Date: Saturday, December 25, 2010, 9:03 PM
>> Benjamin,
>> Speaking from experience, the 'wideband' software 'tool'
>> will indeed allow the K3 to transmit outside of most bands
>> but operation on 27MHz is still recieve only even after the
>> usage of said software 'tool'.
>>
>> Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
>> Innisfail, QLD, Australia
>> Elecraft K3# 4257

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679, P3 #546
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!