On Jan 5, 2011, at 1/5    10:10 AM, robt...@comcast.net wrote:

> the K3 user manual states “The K3 directly supports CW/PSK31/RTTY
> ASCII text transmit and receive via its RS232 port.”

You will need software that understands the KY command to transmit
RTTY data (Baudot, not ASCII) through the RS-232 port.

RUMped by DL2RUM supports this, but even RUMped uses a software modem
on the receive end (i.e., needs one audio cable).  Since you mentioned
N1MM, you are most likely not using Mac OS X, which RUMped needs, so
it might not work for you anyway.

I recommend that you set the rig and software up to use AFSK instead
(either with AFSK-A or DATA-A mode depending on whether you use agile
waterfall transmit).  Wire up a sound card to the K3 using two audio
cables, then adjust the audio drive and VOX gain properly and you
should be good to go.

73
Chen, W7AY