Lew,

You are correct, the KRC2 cannot do that directly, but it does have the
AC outputs that can be put to use such that with a bit of external diode
logic it can be semi-automatic.  I say semi-automatic because the
selection of the AC outputs depend on tapping or holding the 4 buttons
on the KRC2.
Secondly, the KRC2 does not decode 2 meters, so you would have to
improvise something.  It could be made to work after some fashion by
using the band data outputs of the K3 and substituting the decode for 2
meters with some other band.

I believe that a less expensive band decoder and a manual switch is the
KISS solution.  The K3 has no output that indicates the mode, so a SMART
solution involving a dedicated processor that polls the K3 for the
relevant data on the RS-232 bus would be the only automated solution
that I can think of.

73,
Don W3FPR