Hi Mike I had problems till I used Data A mode with VOX on.

Link up the serial cable - you will have this done anyway to update the K3
firmware. Then in WSPR set-up make sure the sound card is specified
correctly, the power used (a look up table for dBm in the manual), get RTS
to switch on transmit, checking this is OK in the K3 menu (PTT-KEY)Check the
port corresponds with the computer. "Enable CAT" and put in the rig used
from the pull down menu, no handshake, 8 data bits and one stop bit to suit
the K3, Save settings (in FILE menu)

Cables use line in and line out to line-in and audio out of computer. Set K3
main menu for LINE IN. You will have to adjust line in gain and audio out to
suit your set up so to have 5 ALC bars input on transmit (use WSPR tune
button) to dummy load. Useful to turn off PC monitor speaker or you will
hear the program output audio! Wide IF filter is fine.

Use standard frequency transmission to adjust VFO to zero beat, if you have
the K3 TXCO this will ensure adequate stability, if not a long warm up...If
not you will get a "drift" measurement in the reports.

Use web time e.g. D4 program to get time accurate to a second or so.

Get reception working first. Use preamp/ATT to get audio into WSPR about 1dB
for clear frequency. Too high and it will not decode properly but do not use
RF control to reduce or sensitivity will be lost.

Adjust frequency to position not occupied by others in reception  period.
Transmit up to 20% of the time, if you have the latest WSPR use "transmit
first" to avoid waiting too long.

5W is max needed, I have heard ZL from UK and 100mW gets reception reports
from around Europe. 1W on 80m gets to the USA in the morning here!

I've probably forgotten something so any problems, let us know. The manual
is good too!

Good luck

73 Colin M0DDT