As long as the Win 7 user does not understand how the OS handles USB
devices, there will always be folks tripping over this opaque procedure in
Windows.  The drill is anything but intuitive, but if the user does not
understand it, the use of complex combinations of loggers, data mode
programs, Microham style boxes and USB/serial devices is going to trip up
users, including those trying to upgrade firmware.

This is not at all without sympathy with those who are struggling the first
time around to get it straight in their head.  I have been as confused and
lost as anyone.  But the tone of voice taken by some toward Elecraft is
unwarranted, in a word, rude, and at best simply uniformed.

This quandary is NOT Elecraft's fault, nor is it Elecraft's responsibility
to jump through hoops every time one of these secondary applications makes a
goof, or the OS puts out yet another flawed automatic OS update that
destroys what was previously working.  I am constantly surprised at the
issues not of their own making that they WILL undertake for the sake of
their users.  They draw the line far over in generous territory, a fact
which OUGHT to earn them uniform approval. We need to give them room to
refuse those that they deem too expensive or beyond their ability to
maintain.

There is an ancient tale about a child who insisted on biting his mother
while nursing.  When the mother decided therefore that it was time to wean
the child, it complained, saying "Now who will I bite when I am upset?"
 Some things never change.

73, Guy.