Edward R. Cole wrote:

> Let me ask a filter question for a different situation.  I am
> interested in receiving very-weak CW and currently have the 2.8 KHz
> and 400-Hz 8-pole filters.  Will narrowing the DSP bw down to 200-Hz
> work as well as using a 200-Hz filter?  There are no strong stations
> either nearby or on the band.

There would be no advantage to a 200 Hz XFIL in that case...but you may not
want to go that narrow.  I prefer a wider bandwidth (350-400 Hz) for
extremely weak signals in white noise (no QRM!).  I believe the human ear
does a better job of discriminating signals from white noise if it has some
bandwidth to work with.  APF also works better for me if used with wider
bandwidths for the same reasons.

The 200 Hz XFIL is mainly useful for extreme QRM situations...like the CQ
160.

73,  Bill