Don,

Thank you for your suggestions.  It sure is hard to debug circuits that have
feedback loops.

I was using the TUNE button for the readings that I reported, and the radio
was connected to a 50-ohm resistive dummy load.  I did not know that the
TUNE was an approximate power level.

The keying waveform matches the diagram in the mod instructions.

I have retested using my cw key.  I think I am only seeing the 'erratic'
power on 80m and 40m.  Output on the other bands seesm to be consistently
the same.  At '5 watts' on 80m and 40m I would occasionally get around 4.2
watts and usually get around 6.4 watts.

The power will drift for about 3 to 5 seconds then stabilize.  You mentioned
that it should take about 3 dits for the power to stabilize, so it seems to
take much too long on my K2.  Having reinstalled the power amp finals this
week, I do not believe that there is an issue with heatsinking or mounting
of the power transistors causing the drifting.

I looked at the app note regarding R98 and made the change.
http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/Power_Control_Mod.html

With the potentiometer at 1000 ohms, I got 12.5 watts on 10m so I put in a
1K resistor.  Then I retested at the 5 watt level.  On 40m, for example, I
now (usually) get 5.6 watts out instead of 6.x watts.  But about 10% of the
time I get about 4.3 watts out.

The reason that I changed the transistors and T3 in the power amp and tested
the LPF is because this K2 draws more current than it should when
transmitting.  At 5 watts, the current draw is 2.04 to 2.18 amps on 80m
through 15m.  On 10 and 12m the current is 2.52 to 2.56 amps.  The voltage
drops from 13.6v to 13.1v on all bands (at 5watts).  At 10 watts, the
current is 2.50 to 2.75 amps.

Power amp transformer T4 was wound with the standard 3-turn winding.

Should I be concerned about the higher than normal current draw?

73,
Bob - N7ZF