N5BCN> If you get a chance, do you mind emailing me your impressions of the
KAF2 vs the KDSP2?  I'm interested in buying one or the other, and hoped to
get the opinion of someone who has listened to both.

I've been going though this very exercise over the last several months,
including about an hour or more spent evaluating a K2-KAF2 side-by-side with
a K2-KDSP2 at a local ham's QTH. Our K2s were otherwise configured almost
identical.  To make a long story short we concluded that neither filter is a
clear winner over the other.  It's more a matter of tradeoffs. Here are my
general impressions:

- in some cases the KAF2 produced a more intelligible signal

- in some cases the KDSP2 produced a more intelligible signal

- KAF2 has a slightly softer, more analog sound. This is not to say the
KDSP2 always has a harsher sound in all cases.

- KDSP2 was able to pull a weak signal out better, but at the cost of some
distortion

- The KDSP2 has a noise reduction feature to attenuate background hiss -
great for reducing fatigue when listening to RX for a long time while doing
other things around the shack, etc.

- KAF2 consumes less power

- KAF2 has a much simpler user interface: either a simple toggle (AF2 ->
Off) or 3-way (AF1 -> AF2 -> Off) depending on how you have it jumpered

- KDSP2 allows you to write custom filters (requires additional development
tools)

In my experience (and opinion) the KAF2's strengths are simplicity and
purity, while the KDSP2's are noise reduction and weak signal work.

I'll have more to say about it after today or tomorrow, when my KDSP2 will
come in and I'll start spending some time evaluating it in depth (been using
the KAF2 for about 6 years now).

--Andrew, NV1B
..