I know what you mean.  I too have been a ham since the mid 1970's and NEVER
worked any contests.  This past summer I decided it was time to upgrade to a
21st century rig and decided on a K3/100 with just the standard 2.7 filter,
which was recommended for my very casual operating, along with a new
vertical antenna.  Then, while browsing the software section of Elecraft's
site, I found N3FJP's contesting sofware just in time for the Texas QSO
party.  I decided to see how many counties I could work, and the software,
linked to the K3, made for super easy logging and dupe checking.  Now, I'm
hooked on contesting!  After working another state party, I decided the 2.7
filter was not cutting it so got the 8 pole 1.8.  Then after working some of
the RTTY contest this month, decided the manual tuner I had was not working
for quick QSY, so installed the ATU this past weekend.  Of course, had to
have the Yamaha cm-500 headset as well.  I am still amazed at some of the
stations I have pulled out of pile-ups with the K3.  Since I don't really
like using VOX, I will be adding a foot switch this week so will be ready to
work some of the upcoming state qso parties this weekend.  I am also
counting the days until the CQ WPX next month.  Amazing how a good radio can
really change your perspective on operating.  I've never been a DX chaser
either but snaged some new ones this past weekend so can add DX chasing to
my list of things I have missed out on while hamming.  The only down
side..... it's getting expensive.  The second receiver is looking pretty
good and the new KPA500 coming out is on my possible list as well.  Will
probably need a tower, beam antenna, second K3........

Thanks Elecraft for such a fantastic radio.

Larry KE5MO