It's hard to find something to add. I bought a K2 in 1999 after seeing a
demonstration of
a prototype at a NORCAL QRP Club meeting. I liked it because it was small and
good enough
to use in my shack as well as to take camping. I liked the clean audio, and I
absolutely
loved building it. When I invisibly broke a capacitor lead, Tom, N0SS explained
to me how
to find it using an antenna as a signal tracer.

Over the years I made many mods, official and not. Wayne and Eric were
unfailingly polite
and helpful even when I was a pest, even when I was fooling the firmware to get
25 watts
out of a K2/10 to drive an amplifier before there was a 100-watt option (it
worked well
enough), or trying to marry an INRAD filter to it (it worked poorly). Despite
having a
more 'sophisticated' TS850s, I mostly preferred my K2.

And then... but let me present something I wrote at the time. It's probably too
long for
an email, but just delete it if you get bored:
My K3 Diary
By K2VCO

I’m speeding along California route 152 at about 85 mph, on my way to Aptos.
Security
dictates that my friends are told that it’s a business trip, and my wife thinks
that it’s
‘some radio thing’.  In fact, it will be the first time I see Henry.  I check
the mirrors
for the CHP and step a bit harder on the gas.

It began in the summer of 2004, when I posted a message on the Elecraft
reflector, listing
some of the features that I would like to see in the K2’s successor, should
there be such
a thing.  Wayne answered, saying “Everything that’s on your list is on ours.
That’s all I
can say for now.”  Later that day I received an email from Eric, inviting me to
join the
focus group discussing the next generation Elecraft radio!

For the next two years, as the Elecraft team proceeded with development, the
focus group
looked at pictures of the proposed radio and discussed such things as the
placement and
function of controls, i/o options, firmware features, the degree of
preassembly, etc.  Of
course I can’t really compare the process to what other manufacturers do, but I
was
tremendously impressed with Elecraft’s dedication to getting it exactly right.

And now for the first time I am about to see the prototype Henry (a code name
invented so
that Wayne and Eric can safely converse in public without saying ‘K3’).

I arrive at Eric’s home in Aptos significantly early and without a speeding
ticket.  Eric
has a lot of ‘junk’ like most hams, although it was neat and well organized.
He has a
bunch of non-Elecraft radios for comparison and is an authority on what’s wrong
with them.
 Lerma serves us cookies, etc., while we wait for Wayne to arrive with the
guest of honor.

Wayne shows up with a box.  We are required to wait outside while it is set up.
 We enter,
sit down, and Wayne pulls away the cloth which with it’s covered (OK, the drama
is
possibly overdone) and – surprise – it looks exactly like the design
renderings!  If you
are reading this, you’ve seen the pictures, so I won’t describe it in detail.
The K3 is
larger than the K2 but smaller than an FT1000, about the size of the TS570.  It
is solid
and professional looking, with the knobs, buttons, LCD and sheet metal all
working
together.  It doesn’t look homebrew and it doesn’t look like plastic ‘consumer
electronics’.  It looks competent, like the cockpit of a jet aircraft.

We discuss how it will be packaged.  There will be an assembled version, and
there will be
some kind of kit version.  We discuss the amount of preassembly.  SMT parts
will be
pre-mounted, but the builder may install the through-hole parts.  Or it might
be a
screwdriver assembly, like a PC, in which the builder selects from pre-built
and tested
modules  -- about a 6 hour job.  Or both.

We get a demo of the user interface.  Wayne seems to have anticipated all of my
questions
and there’s a clean way to do everything that I want to do.  A big problem in
interface
design is to provide the necessary functions with a reasonable number of
controls without
creating a Chinese puzzle.  The IC-7800 represents one extreme, with its
countless knobs
and buttons, while the K2’s DSP adjustments illustrate the other side.  The
K3’s interface
is intuitive, with just the right amount of feedback provided by panel LEDs and
the
display.  I’m impressed again by the amount of thought that has gone into this.

I am surprised at how complete the prototype is, although a number of modules
such as the
100 watt amplifier and antenna tuner, some of the I/O options, and much of the
firmware is
not finished.  I try out the noise blanker (it works) and the QSK.  The QSK is
much faster
than the K2 (finally!) and already relatively clean sounding with preliminary
DSP code.
There are still some audible artifacts in the sidetone, which Wayne assures me
will be
gone in the final firmware.

Unfortunately, I have to leave before I can really play with the radio.  I
drive the 160
miles home, thinking that the K3 is closer to fruition than I’d believed,
looking forward
to the field test, and hoping to get a low serial number.  Since I’ve already
used up much
of my luck for the day, I drive more slowly.

A quiet period.  Wayne asks for information about RTTY watering holes on the
reflector.  I
know he’s testing Henry’s built-in digital mode functionality, a clue to the
rapid
progress of the firmware.  He reports that it works ‘incredibly well’.

I read the QST review of the Orion II.  It seems to have some rough edges,
especially the
user interface.  Receiver numbers are good, though.  I pry some information
about the
project out of Wayne.  Lots of improvements and possibly another demo in
October.

No demo yet.  I make 775 QSOs in the CW Sweepstakes with my K2.  I had hoped to
have an
alpha test unit for the contest, but that was not to be. We get a (very)
preliminary
version of the user manual.  I don’t have a K3 yet but it seems like an old
friend.

Today is my birthday.  There’s a funny noise in my K2.  I tell Wayne that it
can’t be
fixed and I need an immediate upgrade.  He doesn’t buy it.

There hasn’t been much activity during the winter. But today Wayne sends an
email that
“We're on track for beta sometime in April. Eric has serious purchasing and
manufacturing
ramping up. Lyle and I are honing the firmware for an early demo, and Bob
Friess is doing
final tests at 100-W on the PA and internal ATU. I've tested the prototype
subreceiver and
hope to have that option ready toward the end of April.”

April probably means August,  I tell myself. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly
surprised. I tell
Wayne that I’ll take one of everything.

AB7R and N7DZU get a demo from Lyle in Oregon. Too far for me to drive. Some
reflector
chatter about making it do SO2R out of the box. Please, just make it do SO1R in
my shack!

Lyle played with his prototype in the BARTG RTTY contest a couple of weeks ago.
Otherwise,
silence. April is in a few days. I wonder if I’ll get a single digit serial
number?

Wayne says that the K3 will be announced before Dayton! This year! Beta units
will be out
before that. Fabrication of boards, etc. looks good, he says.

Better – it will be at Visalia, tomorrow! Soon I won’t have to keep my mouth
shut about it.

Several K3s are shown at Visalia! Reflector traffic goes through the roof. Big
crush at
the Elecraft booth, but I forget my camera, as always. Oh well, lots of guys
are taking
pictures. Elecraft is taking deposits for the first 200 units, to be delivered
in July. I
predict they will all be spoken for by Tuesday. Eric tells me that the beta
test units
will be ready in a few weeks. I prepare my XYL. Tomorrow I will clean up my
workbench.

I get the green light to submit my order for a FT unit. I’m ordering the works
– three
8-pole filters (2.8, 1.0 and 0.4 KHz), the 100 watt amplifier, tuner,
subreceiver,
transverter interface (for the rx antenna jacks). A big blow to my credit card,
but I have
been saving up for two years. We’ll be getting them a bit at a time: the 10
watt basic rig
first, and then later the amplifier and finally the sub-receiver.

The cats have messed up my workbench, which won’t be a problem, since to my
sorrow, we can
only get assembled radios, which will be assembled and shipped after Dayton
(next week). I
guess I’ll have to take it apart and put it together again.

“Everything happens that you don’t expect and it always takes longer than you
think.” –
Wayne.  Most of the other field testers have their K3’s, some for a week. Mine
was getting
set up on Thursday (today is Saturday), so I’m pretty sure I’ll have it next
week.
Preliminary dynamic range numbers are in the Orion II class, and the lucky guys
that have
their radios are reporting that a/b comparisons with FT1KMKV’s and Pro-III’s
are very
favorable for the K3 when trying to copy weak signals next to strong ones.

Wayne and Lyle are working very, very hard on the firmware. There are so many
functions
and features to implement, and make sure that it all works smoothly together.
The FT’s are
feeding them issues and they’re fixing them. It’s exciting to monitor the FT
reflector. I
can hardly wait to become a part of it.

I just got the magic email from Lisa. It will be here tomorrow, with the 100w
amp and the
autotuner. Serial number: 00007! It will have 2.8 KHz and 400 Hz filters, with
the 1000 Hz
filter and the sub-receiver on backorder. Will I be able to sleep tonight?

At last! It looks better in person than in the pictures.  I open the
box…quickly.

I’ve been part of the field test for a bit more than a month. We are receiving
updates to
the main processor (MCU) and DSP every few days, sometimes every day (Wayne and
Lyle do
not appear to require sleep, or else they code in their sleep). Things change –
I have
little labels pasted on my front panel where control functions have changed.
But very few
of the changes have been hardware; almost all are firmware.

Changes are debated passionately among the development team and field testers.
I am amazed
at the ability of some testers to find bugs and of Wayne and Lyle to fix them.
The radio
gets better and better, with new features and performance improvements
appearing in every
update. I am also impressed with the way the developers listen to us.

The field test continued for some time while Elecraft dealt with all of the
sourcing and
manufacturing issues. The rest was history!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA