Why did I buy a K3......?

For two years, I watched k2's and K3's at Field Day and was very impressed.
After the first, I upgraded my old ICOM 735 to a Kenwood TS-570D(G).  I
quickly learned to appreciate the 'new' controls I had to work with.  The
next year, I again was awed by the K3's at two different FD operations.  At
the same time, my part time job was providing a bit more extra income.  I
treated myself to a K3 on my birthday last year.

I built a K3/10 "BARE" and promptly joined the "Module a Week" club and just
today, I installed the LAST filter in my K3/100 "Wide Band" radio with DVR,
ATU and P3.  All that's left is the Sub-Receiver, and the AMP (hint, hint).
I have fun using the radio and as much or more fun putting it together.  I
think I would been overwhelmed had I gotten it all at once.

I now have about 835 confirmed contacts on LOTW, almost 450 of them since
August 04, 2010 when I put my K3/10 on the air the first time.  This has
been the most fun since, well... you know!

I was a model maker for NASA for 34 years, and half of that time was in
CAD/CAM as a designer/programmer.  I have been part of some phenomenal
design/assembly projects.  I cannot believe that a kit at this price point
can be so precisely manufactured and assemble so effortlessly as the K3.
Although, for builders like me who did it one module at a time, a zipper or
some Velcro on the top cover would have been nice.

My hat is off to the entire team who put this together.  The young ladies
who answer the phone should also get recognition.  Each one has been
courteous and knowledgeable and has gotten my order out quickly and
correctly.  I just can't say enough.

Thank You, Elecraft.

...bill conkling   K3/4536
Williamsburg, Virginia