Vernon,

If your K3 is receiving static, I would tend to blame your problem on
the antenna rather than the K3.
However, there is a way to check the K3.  Beg, borrow or purchase an
Elecraft XG2 signal generator.  That will give you a tool to produce a
50 uV signal (S-9) and also a tool to do MDS measurements on your K3.

I do suspect your antenna.  Verticals do not work well in all locations
- good performance depends on your soil conditions, and 25 foot radials
are likely not long enough.  For a good ground screen with the 43 foot
radial, you need at least 32 43 foot radial wires for it to be
effective.  A vertical works great right on the edge of salt water, but
inland locations vary depending on the soil conditions.  I have always
been disappointed with verticals.

Actually, I suggest a more simplistic approach - use horizontal
dipoles.  Use the 43 foot vertical as a mast to hold up the center of a
dipole.  Get a 1:1 balun and construct a dipole for 40 and 20 meters.  2
radiator wires 33 feet long and two 16 foot long these two antennas can
run on a single feedline..  Run the center up to the top of your 43 foot
"mast" and hang the ends of the dipole wires as high as you can using
whatever supports are available.  You want an angle between the wires to
be at an angle greater than 45 degrees.  The two wires for 40 meters
(the 33 ft long ones) should be in the same vertical plane, and the two
wires for 20 meters should be at right angles to the 40 meter wires to
keep interaction to a minimum.

You mentioned 10 meters.  Propagation conditions may be a problem too.
The higher HF bands do not have many signals during the hours of
darkness, and 10 meters may not have many signals during the day.  20
meters during the daylight hours is usually reliable and 40 meters at
night will typically have good signals.  During periods of greater
sunspot activity, the higher frequency bands will show more activity,
but during the recent sunspot minimum, there were times when 20 meters
was barely usable, but conditions are improving.

73,
Don W3FPR