George,

   The ** best ** solution would be for her to get her ham
license.  In that manner, she would be able to work the
14300 Maritime Mobile Service Net as well as a number of
other maritime nets throughout the world.  It will also
give her access to other hams throughout the world.   This
could save her life.   There are a number of weekend
license courses that could help her along the way.

   I am sure that he HF radio and antenna coupler on her
boat will cover the complete 3 - 22 MHz band and may go to
30 MHz.  It may have to be keyboard/reset enabled.  That
would give her easy operation.

  Also, please DO NOT suggest that she use a ham rig for
her primary marine HF radio.  Most ham rigs are not set up
for the rigors of marine operation and with the salt air
and moisture, corrode very easliy.  Marine HF radio have
the commericial frequencies with correct T/R split already
in NV memories.   This is especially important for distress
frequencies.  These are normally a 1 button push.

   No it is not legal for you to communicate with her via
HF on the marine band with out getting a commercial station
license for you, and having a commercially certified radio
at your station.

73
K1NR

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:07:39 -0700