Hi everyone,
Recently, Gary VK4FD and I were participating in the John Moyle Field Day here
in Nth QLD. (It was on at the same time as CQ WW SSB)
As we were just 2 of 5 operators in the club station (VK4WAT) we decided to
lock down our K3's so that the yaecomwood drivers would be able to use the K3's.
Each K3 was locked down so that it was a single band radio, mine on 40M and
Gary's on 20M.

That's when we noticed the possible problem.

You can lock out all but one band in firmware but the radio will still change
bands!

On my radio, I had all bands but 40M locked out, yet it could still be changed
to (And it was fully operational on) 20M and 80M even though those bands were
locked out.
The behaviour on 20M is noted in brackets.

Try the following:
Config: Band Map
Turn off all bands but 40M. (20M)
Exit Config menu:

>From 40M band. (20M)
Press Band UP
Rig changes to 80M. (40M)
Press Band Up again.
Rig changes back to 40M (20M)

>From 40M band:
Press Band Down
Rig changes to 20M. (15M)
Press Band Down again
Rig changes back to 40M (20M)

Note that at no time does the rig change to one of the so called WARC bands in
these 2 tests.
However, if the test is done with the rig only having 30M enabled, then shifts
to 5MHz and 17M occur.

As my rig has the 2M internal transverter I have also tried that band with the
following results:
2M band enabled, all others locked out.
BND UP selects 10M
BND DWN selects 80M

The behaviour is similar on all bands when only one band is enabled.

In each rig we also tried with 2 bands unlocked and each rig performed as it
should with all bands but the 2 selected for operation being locked out and
unable to be used.
So it appears that this issue occurs only when all but one band is locked out.

This has been checked on both my K3 (Serial #4257) and Gary VK4FD's K3 (Serial
#679) with the same results.
Gary's firmware revision at the time was v 4.25, mine was v 4.30 and although I
now have 4.31 in the rig it still does this behaviour.

I'd like others to try the same procedure to see if the same results are found
and then we can get Wayne to checkout the firmware.

Over to you all.

Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
Innisfail, QLD, Australia