Thanks Paul.  Good summary and reference info.

The K3EXREF certainly works as advertised.  I've already used two
different Rb sources, and it's solid as a rock.  Using a TIA over the
weekend,, saw a 1 to 2 Hz wander at 28MHz, however the Rb clocks have
a little start-up drift and the wander might have been due to that.
And of course,  the TIA is based on Rb, itself.

I bought a Rev E Thunderbolt GPS-DO from a vendor on eBay.  It's still
training (< 24 hours), and there was a 1 Hz per 10 minutes upward
drift after two hours of operation, in the REF*CAL indicator.  Is this
normal?  Will check it again at around 24 hours into the experiement.
Even though I work in the GPS industry, I've never used a GPS-DO
before.

I've tossed my original Wellnav OCXO-based freq source.  We use these
as a time base here in our GPS simulators, but they're far from phase
noise free and there is significantly more drift (might also be age).
Was seening 5 to 6 Hz of wander, and sampling it showed a textbook
[but skewed] Gaussian distribution.  The wander should not generally
even be detectable with conventional ham equipment, but it was.

Cool stuff.

Just to reinforce Paul's comments, the Trimble software is quite
impressive.  I work in the industry, and I've never seen even in our
own Pro products, so much monitored statistical and operations data in
a control program.  It certainly was worth the price (see Trimble's
web site under Support).  Free that is.

I'm running the Tbolt on a linear supply.  It's a three-output Topward
lab-grade PS.  Monitoring the current consumed, I see the following:
+12V: 700-750 mA for startup (warming the OCXO), 40-50 mA steady state
-12V: < 20 mA continuous
+5V: 370 mA continuous

Add all this up, and steady state power consumed comes to about 2.7W.
This is perfect for use in a solar-powered station.  My K3 and general
station power comes from two 50W Siemens PV panels on the roof.  These
feed a charge controller and 110AH 12V AGM battery in the shack.  The
lower power consumption of the GPS-DO is compatible with this set up.

I had borrowed a Brandywine unit from a buddy that works there, and it
consumed about 35W steady state.  Not good for this installation.

73,
matt W6NIA
Upland, CA.