Doug,

I would suggest you adopt the "Ugly Construction" or "Manhatten
Construction" methods to put it together.
I would also suggest you look at the design of the SWL-40, it is one of
the better mono-band ones IMHO, because it uses a superhet receiver
rather than the more common DC receiver.

A long while back, I participated in the MH-101 construction project,
which was a 30 meter transceiver teaching project under the guidance of
Chuck Adams K7QO.  It was based on the SWL series (with Dave Benson's
blessings).  If you can locate the archives of that project, it might
fit your desires.

OTOH, Jim Kortege K8IQY is the "King of Manhatten Construction", who
designed a good 40 meter transceiver using only 2N2222s.  You can see
this on his webpage at
http://www.k8iqy.com/qrprigs/2n240/2n240page.html.   Jim has several
other QRP rig designs (some based on that original 2N2222 design) at
http://www.k8iqy.com/qrprigs/QRPRigs.htm.

Enjoy.

73,
Don W3FPR