" Question:
Does grounding your tower or metal mast increase the likelihood of it being
hit by lightning?"
Answer: One would hope would hope so.

There are several theories of lightning protection. Before I comment on
those methods let me ask. Would you rather the lightning strike your antenna
or your mast? If the antenna is struck your coax and everything attached or
(usually) anything near your coax, is hosed. Even disconnect switches do not
always protect. Conclusion it is much better to take the strike on the mast
but if you can prevent the strike you are still better off.

As a young boy I helped my grandfather install lightning rods on houses.
There were two kinds of rods. One had a sharp point at the end and the other
a big ball. The ball rods were considered to be superior because they
usually took more strikes. Now we know that the pointed variety is superior
because they bleed off charge preventing strikes.

Take a close look at the popular video making the rounds showing the guys
climbing a 1700'? tower. Did you notice all the sharply pointed objects on
arms surrounding the top? Those are there to bleed off the charge.

Final conclusion:

Ground the mast and put a pointed lightning rod at the top.

de Fred AE6QL.