The manual says that when I click on TEST COMMUNICATIONS that it should
indicate in a pop-up window the speed of the communications -- which it does
-- 9600 baud -- and should show the firmware version installed in the XG32
-- which it does not -- instead it says "XG3 boot loader is ready for
firmware load. COM 5 RS-232 9600 bits".  I won't beat this to death as I
have given all the information I can.  The unit still is working on the
default frequencies and as received from Elecraft, but is useless for doing
anything else right now -- changing the default frequencies, scanning,
sending custom commands and so on.  Either I or somebody smarter than me
will figure it out,  I have tried three different FTDI chipset based
USB-Serial converters and three different computers XP and Windows.  No joy.

73, Greg K2UM