Bill, well, this over-educated, self described computer good computer
handler, found the problem.  I reseated everything -- the USB to serial
cables were all seated well to begin with. But, I gave the 1/8 inch plug
connected to the RS-232 an extra wiggle and then it seated down a tad more
and all works as advertised.  Maybe my stupidity in not checking the easy
stuff first will help someone else.  Then again, there in not likely a
member here that is as dumb as I am.  Thanks much, Bill, your note made me
all the more intent on finding the problem.

Have a good weekend and, I must say that XG3 is one neat piece of equipment
and worth every penny even with the things I have done with it so far.
Congratulations to Elecraft for another neat and flexible piece of
equipment.  I love my Elecraft equipment and thanks to all who develop,
refine, service, support, assemble, ship and communicate with dumb hams like
me.

73 Greg K2UM