Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 19:32:33 -0700
From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [KPA500]KPA500 power cord question
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net

On 5/3/2011 11:20 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
 > I'd be interested to hear about benefits (if any) of running the
 > KPA-500 on 220V vs 110V (in the US)

The only good reason I can think of is if the 120V circuit that runs
your ham shack would be overloaded by adding the amp. That's a rather
unlikely scenario. A single 15A circuit is good for 1,800 watts. The
KPA500 specs say it needs 1,000 VA, which is 8.3A. That leaves 6.7A
(800W) to run the rest of your ham gear. Because most power amps,
including the KPA500, get to full power with less than 50 watts, you'll
only need about 2A at 120V for the transceiver.  Even with SO2R, you're
only transmitting with one radio at a time, and transceivers don't burn
my power in RX mode (especially Elecraft radios).

The one good reason for having 240V in your shack if if you think you
might want to run an amp rated at 1kW or higher, or if you might need a
space heater.

If I were pulling new wiring into a ham shack, I would install one 20A
120V circuit and one 20A 240V circuit for ham gear (and computer gear)
only. I would put LOTS of outlets on the 120V circuit, and I would put
them in steel backboxes that are all bonded together, and to the backbox
for the 240V outlet.

If I thought the station might someday want to do multi-two contesting,
I would double up both circuits, but I would still keep them all bonded
together.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45