On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 22:12 -0400, John wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am combining some gift cash plus the proceeds from the sale of a radio
> and have enough to finally order my very own KX1 CW QRP transceiver kit.

Hi John,

It's a great little radio; you'll love it. I built the 40-20 version and
the autotuner and used the radio for a bit before adding the 80-30
module. I think the answer to your question rests in large part on how
experienced you are at kit-building and how adept you are at editing
construction manuals -- reading through both sets of very detailed
instructions, adding any changes from the errata page, then fold one
into the other for a straight-through build that works the first time.

When I tackled mine, it was the first kit I'd built in roughly 25 years,
so I took the conservative 40-20 route and don't regretted it. If I
remember correctly, Elecraft recommends adding the 80-30 after you're
sure you have a functioning 40-20 radio. The tuner is easy enough to
remove when it comes time to add the two extra bands. The approach also
introduced me to the joys of a desoldering tool, a kind of reverse,
spring-loaded syringe. Looks like something I wouldn't want to see a
physician wield around my bod!  ;-)

I bought the options all at once. But I felt most comfortable following
Elecraft's recommended approach.

Dunno if this helps at all...

With best regards,

Pete