John,

If you are an experienced builder, you can build the KX1 with
consideration for the addition of the KXB3080 option - if and only if
you order the KXB3080 at the same time as the KX1 (you will need some of
the components).

If you cannot order the KXB3080 until later, just mount L6 on the bottom
of the board rather than the top so you do not have to change it later.

If you have the KXB3080 kit available while building the KX1, you can
avoid de-soldering components by following the instructions below:
The procedure is as follows:
Build the KX1 as indicated in the manual up through page 30 of the KX1
manual.
On page 31, install L6 on the bottom of the board rather than on the top.
Do not install L7 on page 31.
Do not install C27 (page 32)
Do not install C1 on page 33.
Do not install C26 (page 33).
Continue with the KX1 manual steps.
Then from the KXB3080 instructions, install C1, C26 and T2 - be sure to
make the PC trace cut indicated on page 5 (figure 2), and connect the
end of the 40 meter trimmer capacitor to the cut trace as indicated.

You should then have a KX1 that works on 40 and 20 meters - test it on
those bands.

Then add the KXB3080 board as indicated in the KXB3080 manual, and again
test the KX1 on 40 and 20 meters.

Lastly (and most carefully), build the Low Pass Filter board for the
KXB3080.  Follow the manual diagrams explicitly, work carefully, and
make it look just like the diagrams - this is the most common failure
point for builders.

Then activate b30 and b80 in the menu, and you should have operation on
all 4 bands.

Good luck with the build process.  Use care when building the KX1 -
because of its density, it is one of the more difficult Elecraft kits.
Follow the instructions explicitly, use good soldering techniques and
you should have success.  If you do not understand any step in the
instructions, ask here on the reflector and you should receive
clarification.

73,
Don W3FPR