Thank you, Don.  I have no experience with any kind of outboard
amplifier since I've been QRP for nearly my entire ham life, but I do
seem to recall that in 'the old days' of tube amps, there was always a
minimum drive requirement and sometimes distortion problems occured at
the lower drive levels.   At least, this is what I've gathered from
reading about it.  No first hand experience.

I am asking this question because I've been thinking about which of my
rigs -the K2 or the K3 - I want to equip with the 100 W PA option.  The
KPA-500 might give me another option, albeit much more expensive but
perhaps a wiser economic choice in the longer term (and keep me on the
path toward a "K-line" station).

I would much prefer to leave both the K2 and K3 as 'virgin' QRP rigs as
that is my true love.  If the KPA-500 can give me about 75 to 100 watts
output as a state-of-the-art outboard amplifier that both K2 and K3
could share, then it would be a very interesting prospect for me to
consider.

Especially since there will be no need to modify either K2 or K3.

And ---not to push it --- could my K1 conceivably drive a KPA-500 with
its 5 or 6 watts also??

What a great concept -- one all-purpose state-of-the-art amp sitting in
the shack ready to shake hands with any and all of my Elecraft
transceivers when called upon to do so.

I am on technically solid ground here?

73, Stan WB2LQF
KX1 #2411    K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244     K9 #1 (Cocoa the
Chihuahua)
Everything is QRP, even the dog.