From: AB5N <7000...@gmail.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Fri, May 13, 2011 1:31 pm
Subject: [Elecraft] We need to develop the Ideal Antenna!

Hi Guys-

Well, I'm in week two of enjoyment with my new KX-1. I did have a few
problems in assembling, but
that is history.

This little rig has a simple receiver which has only half the sensitivity of
a usual radio. As well, we are dealing
with 3-4 watts TX out max. We have to have an excellent antenna. I've tried
the suggested 25 ft. long wire
with radials. Ah, it's not good enough. I even got some strange RX-feedback
internally at some frequencies using it. I believe the criteria for an
excellent antenna will be as follows:

1. Will match up well using the internal tuner on all four bands.

2. Has enough metal in the air to provide adequate microvolts to the RX - to
make it function well without
being overloaded.

3. Provides some gain - or at least a clean predictable pattern

4. Is light, compact and easy to deploy.

My inkling is that a normal Carolina Windom may be the thing. I'll work on
developing a micro-QRP version.

What doesn't work?

Classic G5RV (102 Ft) - will not load on any band with tuner.
Offset-Zepp fed with Coax (75'x25')

What say guys? Anybody have superb luck with an antenna yet?

Bob-AB5N