>> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Alan Bloom <n...@sonic.net> wrote:
>> > Right, no computer will be required.  You'll just plug a VGA monitor
>> > into the connector on the back of the P3.
>>
>> Since we are in question answering mode, will you be able to switch
>> between just monitor, just P3, and both?
>>
>That would certainly seem reasonable.
>
>Alan N1AL

Many thanks for the updates on the resolution issue, Alan. 2048 real FFT
points interpolated to 1024 (or more) horizontal pixels will be a
significant improvement in frequency resolution.

However, the increase in vertical (time) resolution should be even more
dramatic. With only 272 vertical pixels, some of which have to be used
for the spectrum display and for scales and labels, the P3's waterfall
display struggles to represent brief transients like key clicks,
electric fences and other forms of QRN. With 768 (or more) vertical
pixels rather than 272, these transients should all become clearly
visible.

Having a dual-monitor PC display but no space for a third large screen,
I will probably switch the second (15in) monitor between the P3 and the
radio PC as required, while keeping the P3 display active as well.
Thinking about that, the button labels will not be useful on the larger
display, so will it be possible to show those on the P3 only?

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek