Hi Stan,

You can do it. I'm probably older than you (72) -- it just takes patience
and some fiddling.

The first thing to do is to plug in those patch cords. In fact, let's start
with just one. Plug it into the Lin Out on the back of the K3, and the Mic
jack on your computer.

Then bring up WSPR. Set the "Transmit %" slider to 0% so that it won't try
to transmit. Then click the "Setup" menu at the top, and open Station
Parameters.

Put in your call and your grid square (you can find it out on QRZ.com if you
don't know it. Look up your call, then click "details").

Then click the drop-down menu for "Audio In" and select Microphone.

Make sure your computer's clock is accurate to within 1 second. There are
various ways to do this, but for the moment I'll assume you have that
figured out.

Set your receiver on 14095.6, USB, and on WSPR select Band>20M.

Now make sure the "Idle" box is not clicked, and wait for the beginning of
an even-numbered minute.

Pretty soon you'll see a green box at lower right saying "Receiving," and
the lower left box will say "Rx Noise XX DB".

On the K3, adjust Config > Line Out to bring the Rx noise to somewhere near
0 DB.

To fine-tune the audio in, look on the Task Bar for the little picture of
the speaker (lower right, next to the time & date). Right-click that icon,
and a menu will appear. Select "Recording Devices."

A menu will pop up. Double-click Microphone, and then select the Levels tab.
A slider will appear, which you can adjust to get the Rx Noise to (more or
less) 0 DB.

Now go get some coffee and let WSPR run in receive mode for a while. If your
system clock is accurate, you'll see callsigns appear in the white box.
You're receiving!!

Once you get to that point, email me and we'll try to get you transmitting.

Good luck & 73,
Tony KT0NY