To try to put some meaningful numbers on the value of a few extra dB I
looked at some recent contest scores. Actually not at the scores
themselves but the number of Q's made. There is of course wide
variability in this. A lot appears to depend on whether it is
primarily a NA contest or international. But it might give some clue
about the value of additional power.

To hopefully remove some of the many variables, I looked only at the
top few stations. The assumption is that these guys have good stations
with good antennas in good locations. Have to believe that they put in
nearly equal effort, i.e. approx the same number of hours. Implicit
also is the assumption they are approx equally good operators.

In the 2010 ARRL 160m contest these power levels made this many Q's:

       1st   2nd
QRP   805   718
LP   1078  1038
HP   1989  1776

In 2010, with the low sunspot numbers, this was basically a NA
contest. Not much in the way of DX activity.

Assuming other things are equal - which may or may not be the case -
it looks like 13 dB (5w to 100w) is worth about a 33% increase in Q's.
And 25 dB (5w to 1500w) will yield somewhat more than double.

In the 2010 ARRL Sweepstakes:

       1st    2nd
QRP   982    835
LP   1257   1244
HP   1466   1453

This is a NA contest.

Here 13 dB was again about a 33% increase and 25 dB something less
than double. Indeed having a KW was not much help here.

But if we look at longer distance and check the 2010 ARRL
International DX contest (looking at stations in NA, not EU or other
continents):

         1st    2nd
QRP    1021    912
LP     2872   2738
HP     4362   4474

Here 13 dB gives nearly 3x as many contacts. 25 dB gives about 4.5x as
many.

It looks like a few extra dB may be valuable on longer paths, but not
worth much within NA, which is about what you would expect.

This does not address the question of what 3 dB is worth. A little
hard to figure. Within NA 13 dB yields about 33%. So what would 3 dB
yield? Dunno, but my guess is not much.

How much is 3 dB worth on longer paths? Again hard to say but there is
probably some threshold, or minimum required, to work the DX. Is that
threshold 3 dB, i.e. 10w? Honestly probably not. Somewhere between 5w
and 100w, but unknown.

Maybe some enterprising souls could get together, a few run 5w, a few
run 10w, a few 25w, and a few 50w. Compare results when it is over.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4