It all depends how close the desired signal is to the noise level.
Check out

http://www.ab7e.com/weak_signal/mdd.html

However, the original argument that 20 watts is better than 10 watts
seems pretty silly to me since you can carry that flag all the way up to
power levels that create their own ionosphere.  We can all gain >FAR<
more ERP from wisely choosing/building a better portable antenna
compared to a backpack whip than we would from doubling the power out of
the rig.

73,
Dave   AB7E