I never use the speaker and I ride the RF gain.  When I hear the signal
rising I can catch it in time to avoid limiting.  However, I only use this
method when the QSB is a fast flutter which causes me problems.  When the
QSB is simply a slow up and down wave I'll use AGC-F which is fine.  This
morning I had both rapid and slow QSB.  The rapid QSB was the problem
while the slow QSB was easily dealt with by riding the RF gain.
    Kevin.  KD5ONS