George,

You can plug in the adapter in most instances and then have WIN7 search for
the updates on line.  If that doesn't work, then go to the support link of
the Company that made the device and you should be able to get the drivers.
The serial adapters I use, including a very nice one from Elecraft is
automatic.  If you go cheapo route like many of us do at times, that route
may be necessary.  I like the Elecraft adapter as it is well designed and
hasn't failed.  I have used one good brand and one off brand that have
failed, probably due to RFI (I run 1.5 KW) and grounding failures.

Win7 drivers work well.  I also use 64 bit and the Professional version vs
Home.  I only do PRO, NEVER Home versions.  There are differences which you
can determine through an on-line search.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ