On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:07:10 -0700
"Fred Townsend" <ftowns...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

 My WIN7 has always found the correct driver, even when the hardware was pretty
old.

Yes, I would expect it to....because the hardware is older. Add to that
the fact that Win 7 only searches for Microsoft certified drivers. The
latest bug fix from your video or sound card manufacturer more than
likely hasn't been certified.

> previous to XP it was necessary to install the drivers before the
> hardware but that hasn't been true in a long time.

Was true for XP and still true for Win 7, at least for HP USB
printers, Blackberry's, Verizon USB cards, USB sound cards, my Winkey
USB, my SingnaLink USB, etc....

We're in the process of switching 15K remote laptop users over to Win
7 from XP. IF the printer is old enough to have drivers included with
windows and IF the driver doesn't require admin rights to install, the
users have a chance for plug and pray to work, otherwise.......

<You also seem to feel the drivers obsolesce quickly.

Of course they do, that's how manufacturers push bug fixes and
new features out to users. FTDI has updated it's USB to Serial adapter
chipset drivers several times since the K3 came out.

IMHO it's a mistake to put the OS in charge of updating drivers.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H