Personally, I think that we need a reality check here people.
Let's face it, what we 'want' and what we 'need' are two sometimes vastly
different things.
Wanting to be able to switch up to 18 antennas is so far outside the realms of
sanity to try to implement in an antenna tuner it's ridiculous.

Let's get back to basics, I am told that the KAT500 tuner will most likely be
available in two formats, one a desktop unit and one a remote unit.
In either format I think that it should have not more than 2 inputs, 3
unbalanced and one balanced output and that the tuner should be capable of
matching a 10:1 VSWR load. (As compared to 50 ohms)
Those are the basic requirements IMHO.

Now, on to packaging.
The desktop unit should be as small as possible but I personally don't think
that 'P3 size' will be big enough due to the high voltages that can (and do)
develop in the tuner, in a P3 sized case there would exist the real possibility
of flashover with disastrous results for the tuner and / or amplifier / rig.
I envisage something of similar size (for the desktop units at least) to a K3
if anything.
This will give more than enough space for the tuner plus the associated
switching needs to select the different antennae.
The remote unit will no doubt be smaller due to not needing a capability of
local human interaction and will probably have only one input.
As well the remote unit will need waterproofing to IP65 or better.

Functionality:
I envisage that the desktop unit shall be not only able to select between the 2
rig inputs & 3 antenna outlets but can do so according to the band that the
radio (I am assuming that an Elecraft K3 or least a K2 will be used with it.)
is on and do so automagically via AUXBUS control.
If the transceiver used is not an Elecraft rig (Shame on you!) then possibly
the tuner should have some sort of RF sensing capabilities, ala KPA500.

I also envisage that the remote unit will have to rely on RF sensing alone, due
to the possible distances involved between it and the transceiver / amplifier
unless some type of data bus capability is installed that is capable of
operating over the long distances (10 to 100 metres or more) that is also
compatible with the K2/K3/KRC2 etc.
Failing that maybe a serial interface could be used but that would mean that
level convertors and logic decoders would have to be used at either end,
thereby complicating things even more. (And not to mention, adding extra cost
to the units)

Whatever the good folk at Elecraft come up with I don't mind betting that it's
gunna be awesome, just like the rest of their gear! :)

73 de

Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
Elecraft K3 # 4257 + K144XV + KPA500 + PR6  = Fanbloodytasic performance!