bk doesn't bother me so much if it's sent as BK and not _BK_ (i.e. not run
together). For clarity's sake, if I just end with K I leave an extra amount of
space so that meaning is clear, per Igor's note below.

I don't ever use _KN_ myself anymore. Mostly because, yes, it's a parentheses,
but also because all the ARRL books I ever read when I was studying back in the
'80's, and these books were older than that by some amount, said that _KN_
means something like, "I only want a response from the other station, no
breaking stations please", which doesn't seem terribly friendly.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY