KN also tells a breaking station that you're in QSO.  So if they creep
up on your signal during the tail end (callsign exchange), the context
is clear.  I've always taken KN to mean a context marking rather than
some unfriendly indicator of exclusion.  Haven't met any hams that are
like that.... :)

73,
matt W6NIA