A very late Good Evening to you,
    It has finally happened, I have gone a full week without having to
start a fire to stay warm.  It was chilly many times but I found another
way to keep the house warm until the sun heated the roof enough.  Today
the temperature rose above 70 again and I think for the next couple of
days it was stay in the low 70s before creeping back down.  It dried out
enough for me to get into the forest and start cutting firewood.  I have
enough wood remaining to get me half way through the winter unless I have
to start more fires this summer.  What a strange year it has been.  I hear
stories about how hot it is but I have yet to experience any day I would
call hot.  Last week's 77 on Sunday was the hottest I have gotten all year
and that would be cool for most of you.  Even though I have not had any
rain this week I did get precipitation yesterday morning when the fog was
so thick it caused the trees to rain on me.  The roads were completely dry
unless there was a tree directly overhead.  The fog was so thick I could
not get a connection to the tower where I get my Internet feed until 9 AM
when the sun started to burn off the fog.

    Propagation yesterday was great at times and during the rest of the
week it was good.  I finally got the firmware upgrade zip file moved over
to the K3 so now I can access the menu command which allows me to run
APF.  In fact I needed to do nothing to get it other than the firmware
flash.  When I checked the menu I found APF had already been chosen.  I
tested it and found it does work rather well if you can handle the ringing
it adds to the signal.  Sounds much like closing the DSP filters down
extremely tight which I assume is what it does with one button hold.  But
when the signals fall below the noise floor even a ringing signal is
better than none at all.  I expect it will come in handy during the fox
hunts.  I found it was unnecessary during my regular skeds this week
because the signals had improved markedly from last week.  Now that the
sun is waning into autumn I expect propagation will keep improving.

    If anyone is interested in acting as a relay station on either net
please email me.  I will turn the net over to you for a few minutes so you
can call areas in my skip zone.  It sure would prove helpful to those I
cannot reach directly.

Please join us tomorrow afternoon and evening.

1) Hail signs  (first letter or two of the suffix of your call)
2) NCS help  (as well as QSP/QNP <relay> help)

Sunday 2200z (Sunday 3 PM PDT) 14050 kHz
Monday 0000z (Sunday 5 PM PDT)  7045 kHz

     Stay well,
        Kevin.  KD5ONS

-