On 7/31/2011 4:06 PM, N2TK, Tony wrote:
> Hi Fred,
> A watt is a watt. A SS 500 watt sounds just like a tube or other brand SS
> 500watt on the receive end. The other features are sure nice though on the
> transmit side.

Exactly!

> But with that 1500W amp you are running at 500W, you have the power
> available when you need the little extra push of 1500W. The increase in
> power does on occasion help for the DX station to hear you over someone else
> or even just hear you. Sometimes less than an S-unit increase does matter,
> but not most of the time.

I began running the 1.5KW amp at 500W several months ago to prepare
myself for the KPA500.  I didn't notice any operating difference then,
and I don't now, except that my KPA500 talks to my K3, either can change
bands, there is no tune up, the amp is always on the band I'm about to
transmit on and never still on the band I just came from, and everything
is full QSK.  Honestly, if 1/2 an S-unit is going to make a difference,
I really do need to improve my operating skills.  They probably
represent a 20 dB advantage, or disadvantage in my case.

The 1.5KW amp is in my truck awaiting an auspicious moment to drive down
to Galt and deliver it to a buddy who is also a buyer.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org