Lee,

I would suggest that you investigate 2 areas - first the AGC circuits and
secondly see what the filter alignment looks like (if it has shifted, just
determine that fact, but don't adjust it until you look for the cause -
likely in the BFO area).

The slow fade certainly sounds like it could be AGC related to me, but I
counter that with your later statement that you can now hear with your 1.5
filter, but lose it with the 700 - that condition could be caused by a shift
in the BFO frequency - and it would not be obvious on transmit.  If I were
you, I would look for any suspicious solder connections in those circuits -
particularly the BFO varactors.  Funny how problems like that show up at the
most inconvenient times - sorry to hear of ordeals like that.

73,
Don W3FPR