I do not even need to reply.  Mathew, Wayne, Don have done so eloquently.

I think there might have been a point when components were difficult
to acquire but not today.  There are many specialty houses to make
custom pcb's (I use ExpressPCB).  But most of my "one-of" boards are
RS project boards (similar to vector board) with spacing for
thru-hole mounting.  I find I can also use 1206 and 805 sized chips
on that board.  Mouser, Digikey, Nebraska (surplus) Sales, RF Parts,
etc.  And my Anchorage-based supplier Frigid-North Co.  The biggest
issue is having patience for the mail or UPS to bring the components.

Not being able to run to the store requires a bit more
fore-planning.  I also have tried to accumulate common parts like a
resistor and capacitor for a personal inventory.  I picked up a APC
chip cap demo box off one of the prize tables at a VHF
conference.  Analog Devices offers free samples of almost everything
they make.  I've gotten samples of two of a lot of AD stuff.  Other
companies do that too.

So I maintain it is hams who have abandoned HB (for whatever
reason).  There is a healthy HB community in the QRP, mw and eme
worlds.  TAPR bunch too.  The common perception is "I can't do
that".  Well, you do not know until you try.  Building stuff is the
real joy of ham radio for me.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45