> How can 'missing' parts be found if everything has been
> identified, checked off and catalogued?

Not sure I understand your question. Obviously, everything wasn't found at
the time they were inventoried. Some parts were noted as missing during the
inventory, then found later.

I don't remember all the details but two come to mind: 1) I had missed a
TO-92 package part that was stuffed into the edge of the antistatic foam.
Not sure why I missed it. It was obviously there when I found it. 2)
Elecraft packages some parts in strange places. I think it was the
double-sided tape for the power transistor that was packaged in an envelope
labeled "Serial Number Kit". I hadn't bothered to open the well-identified
yellow envelopes to look for parts that weren't noted as being in those
envelopes. I now open all the little envelopes because despite what's
written on the outside, there could be just about anything on the inside.

The missing part from my KFL1-2 board was one of the parts I ordered from
Elecraft. At the same time I ordered the replacement parts I ordered a few
parts I needed because I swapped a band to/from the 2-band from/to the
4-band board. I needed two capacitors of a particular value. They came in an
envelope marked with the part number. When the envelopes came I just noted
that I had an envelope for each of the parts I had ordered. When I went to
build the 2-band board, I opened that envelope and there was only one
capacitor in it. That's the case where I just went and bought a replacement.

When I dumped out the "hardware" bag for the K2 I found a lockwasher jammed
inside some bigger part. Don't remember now what it was -- maybe a switch or
a jack. So to answer your question, it's fairly easy to do a thorough
inventory and come up with parts missing that are later discovered.

FWIW, when I finished the K1 I had parts left over (beyond the known extras
that are shipped for some of the mechanical parts). So the inventory list
doesn't necessarily match what's needed to build the radio. On the other
hand, I haven't installed all the options yet, so it's possible there are
extra parts included for things I don't know I need yet. Or I could have
left something off. It sure works great without it, though. :-)

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966
K2 #4941