I just got an MFJ-998 auto tuner to work with the K3.  I'm using the K3 TUNE
function (15 watts) to trigger the auto tune function on the MFJ-998.
Generally, it works fine.  However, if I try to tune up to a very
non-resonant band on my antennas where the SWR is very high, the K3 reduces
the power output to the point where the 998 cannot initiate the tuning
process.  For example, if I try to load up an 80m dipole on 60m, the 998
gives an "increase power" response.  I can kick start the 998 into its
tuning process by manually changing inductance or capacitance values until
the K3 starts to increase the power output, at which point the 998 loads up
the antenna, but that is not really the way the whole process is supposed to
work.

In the example I gave above, the SWR reported by the K3 was around 9:1 for
the frequency I was trying to load up.  If the K3 TUNE is set to 15 watts,
how much power is actually being output when the rig sees 9:1 SWR?  Is there
a way to get the K3 to at least output 5 watts under a very high SWR
condition so that an external tuner can do it's job?   If I was just using a
random wire antenna, it's impossible to know what the inital SWR will be,
and it could be very high.  However, the tuner still needs 5 watts to
initiate the tuning process.

What am I missing?