"I just got an MFJ-998 auto tuner to work with the K3.  I'm using the K3
TUNE
function (15 watts) to trigger the auto tune function on the MFJ-998.
Generally, it works fine.  However, if I try to tune up to a very
non-resonant band on my antennas where the SWR is very high, the K3 reduces
the power output to the point where the 998 cannot initiate the tuning
process..."

Usually the problem is due to you having a tuning solution on one band that
leaves a very high SWR when you move to a new band - often worse than if the
MFJ-998 was just bypassed (the MFJ-998 doesn't "know" you've changed bands
except by sampling RF).  The solution is usually to just tap the TUNE button
on the MFJ-998 when you change bands.  This bypasses the tuner.  Then hit
TUNE on the K3.  In most cases there will be enough power to start the tune
cycle on the MFJ-998.

Phil - AD5X