HI jay,

Once you have an antenna set up you will be able to do the reference
oscillator calibration.  It does not have to be done until you get on
the air and it only takes a few minutes.

When I finished my K3 I was afraid of the oscillator calibration so I
thought the factory defaults would be ok.   It did work but after
caibration it sounded like a radio should.   I called elecraft support
for some help and they walked my thru the procedure as the manual was a
little vauge for an inexperienced operation like myself.

Anyway you did good with your K3 it is one of the best on the market and
I had no idea on how good of a radio I acutally purchase.  I almost
bought another IC7000 for the shack, that would been a big mistake.

The receive on this radio is fantastic and I always get random
complements when on the air about my clean signal.  So get ready for the
ride as it will be fun.

What are you planning for your first antenna?

Merry Christmas

~73
Don
KD8NNU