Hi

I have SN 2555 and have exclusively used it for CW. Now, I am trying to use it
for SSB, but I am getting reports of distortion. Even with SSBA 1 and SSBC 1:1.
If I speak really quietly, with microphone about 10 inches away, the distortion
is manageable but not fully gone. ALC seems to go a couple of LEDS before it
settles down to 1 LED on 40m. This happens for both MH2 and the Heil Pro-Set
Plus!.  I believe, I did some mods years ago to increase MIC gain, but I have a
hard time to find the information now on the website to double check.

What would be the mostly likely reason my audio is distorted?
I scanned the manuals but there is no procedure to align the MIC gain anywhere.
 How can this be done?
The rig is 7-8 years old, I am considering spending an evening and realigning
everything.  Is this something that could fix this issue?
If my memory is right, and there was a MIC gain mod at some point, can someone
send me a copy/details, so I can investigate if I have it and possibly undo it?

Thanks
And 73, Andy, KU7T