> 12 W is nearly an S-unit stronger than 5 W.

Well, it's 3.8 dB vs. the 6 dB an S-unit requires, so if 60 percent
is **almost** as good as 100 percent I guess the quoted statement is
true.

I've played this radio game too, since the mid-1960s, and you can't BS a
BS'er!  I've learned enough to know that you'll never get wealthy if
someone gives you a dollar every time 10 or 12 watts make a go/no-go
difference compared to 5 watts, except in terms of battery depletion.
Now there, that's where you will see a very practical (but undesirable)
effect. :-)  Especially if you're going to waste battery energy as heat
in a voltage converter.

YMMV, but I really doubt it.

Now that said, a voltage converter designed to maintain 13.8 vdc output as
the battery terminal voltage drops can be very useful when operating some
solid-state rigs without latching relays from a battery not under charge.
The limiting devices in, say, an old TS-430S are the PA output filter board
band-switching relays.  They are not latching relays, and they require about
11.5 volts to remain firmly closed when energized.  Below 11.5 volts, the
rest of the radio works, but various relays start to drop out.  That's a
non-problem with Elecraft latching relay designs, so that removes any real
technical basis for maintaining 13.8 vdc to the KX3 or other K-rigs.

In battery-powered operation, it's battery energy that is always critical,
not the transmitter output power level.

73,
Mike / KK5F