Being a switching circuit topology, boost circuits' efficiencies can well
exceed 50% and often 80%.  Some are in the nineties.  You can think of
them as a constant power circuit which will tend to consume more current
as the voltage drops to deliver the same power to the load.  What this
means to your battery life is hard to say.  Lithiums can maintain a decent
current till the voltage dives off the cliff so your idea has merit.

However, the boost circuit is a switching circuit and generates a ton of
noise that requires special care in design to reduce.  It's not impossible
to achieve, but not easy.

For simplicity's sake, you are likely to be better off adding one more
cell in series and using a linear low dropout (LDO) regulator to ensure
the voltage never exceeds 15V or whatever Elecraft says is the practical
max.  As the battery voltage lowers below 15V+headroom the voltage will
track downwards with a small loss.  LDOs sometimes misbehave (oscillate)
at the point where the Vheadroom drops below regulation, but the lower
loss is usually worth it.

Lots of choices exist including just living with the 3 cell voltage.  The
switcher is likely too noisy.  The LDO allows for max voltage longer.  A
plain old linear regulator with 2V+ headroom might work too, but you are
wasting a bit more power.

John, kx4o