Eliminating the source of the noise is by far the best solution, however in
many cases it is just not practical. I live in a farming area and there are
many, many, electric fences. While an electric fence in proper order causes
little if any RFI, most fences are simply not installed and maintained with
respect to RFI. Keeping them in good working order would be a full time job,
and I would rather be on the air than fixing them.

The same would hold true of a ham near an industrial complex. Just too many
noise sources to be eliminated to be practical.

Sometimes a good noise blanker is the most practical solution. Unfortunately
most noise blankers seem to be designed to tackle only one noise source at a
time within limited constraints of pulse width, pulse rate and pulse level,
rather than many simultaneous noise sources with very diverse pulse
characteristics.

Another alternative to noise blanking is to move off the grid, way into the
backcountry where manmade noise is behind a few mountain ranges, but this too
has some practical limitations.

--
Darrell Bellerive
Amateur Radio Stations VA7TO and VE7CLA