Its not clear to me why one would need to put the sense element at the
antenna. About the only benefit to it that I can see is you can make sure
your coax to that point has not become extremely lossy. Just about anything
else can be measured with the sensor in the shack. One would be more
interested in knowing the SWR looking into the feedline at the transmitter
than at the antenna end.

If an automatic antenna tuner is near the antenna feed point, if its working
then the SWR should be low in the coax from the tuner to the rig. Trying to
read the SWR between a tuner and antenna is not all that useful and many swr
sensors may not be accurate when not used in 50 ohm feedlines. I didn't
quite say that right. Between a tuner and antenna we would expect a high swr
and the feedline not matching the Z of the antenna. If the antenna is
resonant, then a tuner would not be needed.

So I am missing something, perhaps someone could fill me in!

73/72 - Mike WA8BXN