From: Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com>
To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Cc: elecraft...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, February 14, 2012 9:53:28 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] Older K3/100s can be updated to avoid possible "ERR 12V"
problem

Early K3s had tin plating on the connectors that supply 12 V DC to the
KPAIO3 and KPA3 modules. We discovered that in some climates the tin
plating can eventually corrode, reducing voltage to the PA module,
especially when operated at high duty cycle. This can result in an
"ERR 12V" warning ("check circuit breaker") and the amplifier going
into bypass mode. Power output drops to 12 watts max in this case. In
some cases the power is temporarily restored after turning the K3 off
and back on.

The cure is to replace the tin-plated contacts with new ones which
have gold plating. It's fairly easy to replace just the pins involved.
I believe we've been shipping the gold-plated connectors since
sometime in 2009.

If you have an older K3/100 and you're planning to use their K3 in
high humidity or salt air, or if you've seen the warning message, you
should replace these connectors. They will be supplied free of charge
on request (email "parts at elecraft dot com").

If you further questions on this topic, please email k3support.

73,
Wayne
N6KR