Hello Poul-Erik, It is my understanding that Nick's PigTail device is simply
the interface control device between your iPad/iPhone (or tabletPC/Android) via
WiFi and your radio (K3/KX3) via serial cable. The PigTail just uses WiFi to
communicate with your iPad/iPhone instead of Bluetooth, USB or serial cable. No
WiFi router or network is required. The PigTail device talks directly to your
rig via the serial cable and then your iPad via WiFi. In my case I'll be using
it in the backcountry far from any network! ...Hope this helps!

73, Steve/wGOAT