Jeez. I can't believe I'm commenting on this (or maybe I can?) But before Eric comes in and closes down this thread as OT, here goes.

First, I think I'd've been happier if the 5 WPM requirement was still in place for Extra, at least. I won't lose any sleep over the fact that it probably won't be in several months' time, however.

See, maybe I'm mellowing, or maybe I've actually learned something useful in my mere 32 years on the big blue marble, but I don't, as I did at one time in my life, think that ham radio's gonna go to hell in a handbasket (what's a handbasket, anyway?)

I remember when the first code-free licenses came down. Actually, I remember the heated debates leading up to it happening...of course, not the first ones, because I haven't been around that long, but the ones around 1989-90. I remember being vehemently opposed to the idea. Never mind that I was a happy product of Novice Enhancement; if I wasn't, I'd've got a ham license anyway--because it was important to me to get one, and I'd've done the required work to do it regardless. I remember studying a bunch of stuff and resolving that I'd get that license, even if I did have to learn morse, which I'd naturally never use but would learn because I had to. I remember being very disappointed when I learned that not only was a code-free license going to be available, but that they'd get full VHF and up privileges, never mind that what they got really had absolutely no bearing on my life or operating.

Then, Valentine's Day came and went; I met new local hams; many were excellent operators; many didn't pass a code test. I met some other guys (then and before) who passed all the same tests I did and acted like children. Well, actually, they were worse. Anyone know the Southern White Racists and Biggots Net on 3853? :) And most importantly, the world didn't come crashing down round my ears. Course, a lot of supposedly great ops who passed that all-important test spewed venom all over creation about how ham radio was now going to be wall-to-wall CB, but it's a funny thing...it never really happened, at least not where I lived or visited, no worse, anyway, than it had been before.

Since that first great big change, I've taken the other changes a lot more easily. Maybe I grew up, or maybe I just decided that it really didn't matter and it was all down to us regardless of the rule.s Maybe I decided to live and let live. Would I rather that things didn't change so much and that the license structure and testing was more similar to how it was when I got my test? I s'pose; I used to tell people that if I was giving tests that I'd still give a sending test, even though I myself never had to take one. But today, I think maybe all this has more to do with the human condition of not liking change than anything else, really. Could I have passed the Extra from 1970? Sure, but it would definitely have taken a lot more work on my part to do it. Same with Advanced. I'm sure to some, I'd be an Extra Light because my test was multiple guess, from a published question pool, and no way in Hades I could do a bunch of the technical stuff without a lot of hand-holding to learn it. Could I have passed a 1930- something Class A test? Not in this lifetime, I'm pretty sure; again, not without a lot of help, anyway. But that's the best part of this hobby: the help's there for the asking. And if that goes away because we're all crying about how these new guys don't have to do what we did, well then, ham radio really will be dead. Then, we really will be those old duffers who just sit in our basements talking to the aliens.

So what's my point? I probably had one when I started, but it's gotten lost somewhere.

Vy 73,
Buddy, KB5ELV (a proud know-code Extra who thought the written tests were harder)